Knowing When to Call Off a Shoot for Safety Reasons

Calling off a shoot is genuinely one of the harder decisions I regularly make as a working professional, not because the decision itself is truly complicated, but because everything around it actively pushes against making it: a client who has traveled and invested real money, a limited weather or light window that may not come again, and my own genuine reluctance to walk away from a shot I've personally spent real time and energy carefully planning for. Despite all of that very real pressure, I've genuinely called off shoots more than once, and I genuinely think being honest and specific about how and when I make that call is worth sharing plainly here.

The short version is simply that safety concerns override everything else, without any exception whatsoever, and building the judgment to recognize when a situation has genuinely crossed that line is a skill I've had to develop quite deliberately over many years of genuinely demanding location work. If you want the fuller picture of how I approach risk and decision-making on location, the Adventure Travel Photographer's Playbook covers this alongside the rest of how I run a shoot from planning through execution.

Why This Decision Is Harder Than It Sounds

In theory, calling off a shoot for safety reasons sounds like a simple, obvious choice: if it's not safe, don't do it. In practice, the pressure to continue is real and comes from multiple directions simultaneously, a client's disappointment, sunk costs already spent on travel and logistics, and a personal reluctance to be the person who calls things off when everyone else on set seems willing to keep going.

That social and financial pressure is exactly why this decision needs a clear, pre-established standard rather than being made purely in the moment under real pressure, since in-the-moment judgment is precisely when pressure is most likely to push a decision in the wrong direction, toward continuing when stopping is genuinely the right call.

I've watched other photographers push forward through conditions they privately knew were unsafe, specifically because stopping felt harder in that moment than continuing did, and I understand that instinct completely even as I've worked deliberately to build systems that counteract it in my own decision-making process.

The pressure gets even more complicated on shoots involving a larger crew or a bigger client organization, where the decision doesn't rest entirely on my own judgment alone but gets filtered through multiple people, each with their own stake in the outcome and their own tolerance for risk that may not match mine. Navigating that group dynamic while still holding firmly to a clear safety standard has required real, deliberate practice, since it's genuinely harder to hold a firm line when several other voices in the room are pushing, however subtly, toward continuing regardless of the actual conditions on the ground.

The Specific Standard I Use to Make This Call

I rely on a specific, pre-established standard rather than a purely instinctive, in-the-moment judgment: if continuing the shoot as planned would put a subject, a crew member, or myself at meaningfully elevated risk beyond what the activity's normal, accepted risk profile already involves, the shoot genuinely stops, full stop, regardless of what's already been invested financially or emotionally in getting to that specific point.

That standard is deliberately simple and deliberately absolute, precisely because a more nuanced, case-by-case standard is too easy to rationalize around under real pressure in the actual moment. A firm, pre-established line is far more reliable in practice than a judgment call made fresh each time, precisely when the pressure to keep going is at its strongest and clearest thinking is hardest to maintain.

I've written this standard down explicitly, not just held it as a private mental rule, and I share it directly with clients and crew before a shoot begins, specifically so everyone involved understands the actual criteria in advance rather than encountering them for the first time in the pressured moment when they might actually need to be invoked. That upfront transparency has made the standard easier to actually apply when it matters, since it's no longer a surprise decision I'm springing on anyone but a shared understanding established well before conditions ever became a genuine concern.

Specific Conditions That Have Triggered This Decision

Over the years, specific conditions that have led me to call off a shoot include rapidly deteriorating weather beyond what was forecast, a subject showing genuine signs of fatigue or distress beyond what the activity should reasonably produce, equipment or route conditions that had shifted meaningfully from what was scouted, and a general sense from an experienced local guide or subject that conditions had become genuinely unsafe in a way that outside expertise, mine included, wasn't fully positioned to evaluate on its own.

That last category matters enormously. I defer explicitly to local expertise and experienced guides on safety calls specific to their area of genuine expertise, rather than assuming my own general experience across many locations translates into authority on the specific, local conditions of wherever a given shoot happens to be taking place.

I've built a habit of asking a local guide or genuinely experienced local subject directly, before conditions become a concern, what specific signs they personally watch for that would signal a shoot should stop in this particular location. That question, asked early and directly rather than only in the moment a concern actually arises, has consistently surfaced local knowledge I wouldn't have known to look for on my own, knowledge specific to that exact place that no amount of general adventure photography experience elsewhere would have reliably taught me.

Why I Build Buffer Time Into Every Shoot Plan

One practical decision that makes calling off a shoot easier when it's genuinely needed is building real buffer time into every shoot plan from the very start, rather than scheduling every day so tightly that stopping early feels catastrophic to the overall project timeline. A shoot plan with genuine slack absorbs a canceled day far more gracefully than a plan with zero margin, where any single lost day threatens the entire project's viability.

This buffer costs real money and real planning effort upfront, and clients sometimes question why a schedule includes what looks like unnecessary extra time. I now explain this reasoning directly and honestly during initial project planning, since a client who understands the safety logic behind the buffer is far less likely to push back hard when that buffer actually gets used for its intended purpose partway through a real shoot.

The buffer also functions as a kind of psychological safety valve for me personally, since knowing there's real slack in the schedule makes it noticeably easier to actually call off a shoot in the moment, rather than feeling like any single lost day threatens the entire project's success. A tightly scheduled shoot with zero margin creates exactly the kind of pressure that makes a difficult safety call even harder to make cleanly, so protecting that buffer has become as much about protecting my own decision-making clarity as it is about protecting the project timeline itself.

How I Communicate This Decision to Clients in the Moment

When I do call off a shoot, I communicate the decision directly and honestly, explaining the specific safety concern rather than offering a vague, softened explanation that might leave a client wondering whether the real reason was something else entirely, like simple fatigue or a lack of genuine commitment on my part.

Most clients, in my direct experience, respond well to a clear, honest safety explanation, even when they're initially disappointed about the lost shoot time, because a genuinely clear explanation signals real professionalism and judgment rather than an excuse. The clients who respond poorly to a clear, honest safety explanation are, frankly, clients I'd be cautious about working with again regardless of how this particular decision was received in the moment.

I've also found it helps to offer a concrete next step alongside the difficult news, a revised plan for how the remaining shoot time will be used, an alternative shot list that doesn't depend on the unsafe conditions, rather than simply delivering the cancellation and leaving the client to wonder what happens next. That concrete forward-looking plan tends to shift the conversation from a purely disappointing loss toward a genuine, collaborative problem-solving mode, which noticeably improves how the whole interaction actually feels for everyone involved in that specific moment.

What I Do When a Client Pushes Back Directly

Occasionally a client pushes back directly on a decision to call off a shoot, arguing that the risk seems acceptable to them personally or that the investment already made justifies continuing despite the conditions. In those specific moments, I hold the line firmly and explain clearly that the safety call isn't actually up for negotiation, regardless of how understandable the client's disappointment genuinely is in that specific moment.

I've found that holding this line consistently, even under real, direct pressure, actually builds stronger client trust over time rather than weakening it, since clients come to understand that my safety judgment can genuinely be relied upon even when it's inconvenient for them in the moment, which is precisely the kind of judgment they're paying for as part of hiring an experienced professional in the first place.

I try to frame this directly with pushback-prone clients in advance, during initial contract discussions, explicitly stating that safety decisions on location are mine to make final and aren't subject to client override once we're actually in the field. Setting that expectation clearly before a shoot ever begins, rather than discovering it for the first time in a tense, real-time disagreement, has prevented several difficult conversations that might otherwise have escalated unnecessarily in the actual pressured moment on location.

Why I Never Let Sunk Costs Factor Into the Decision

Travel costs, time already invested, and money already spent are all real considerations for the business, but I deliberately exclude them entirely from the actual safety decision itself, treating that decision as answerable only by the current, present conditions rather than by how much has already been invested in getting to this specific point.

This separation takes real discipline to maintain, since the instinct to factor in sunk costs is genuinely strong, especially on an expensive, heavily planned shoot. I've found it helps to explicitly name the sunk cost fallacy to myself in the actual moment, consciously reminding myself that money and time already spent shouldn't influence a decision about what's actually safe to do right now, in the current conditions, regardless of what came before.

I've also found it useful to imagine explaining the decision after the fact to someone with no financial stake in the outcome at all, a completely neutral third party, since that mental exercise strips away the sunk cost pressure almost entirely and leaves only the actual safety question itself. If a decision to continue wouldn't hold up cleanly under that kind of neutral, disinterested scrutiny, that's usually a reliable sign the sunk costs are quietly influencing the call more than they honestly should be.

Building This Judgment Through Genuine Experience Over Time

The judgment required to recognize when conditions have genuinely crossed into unsafe territory isn't something that develops instantly, it's built gradually through years of direct experience across a wide range of conditions and activities, each one adding to an accumulated sense of what's normal, what's elevated, and what's genuinely dangerous for a given specific activity.

Earlier in my career, I know I was less reliably calibrated on this judgment than I am now, and I've tried to be honest with myself about that evolution rather than assuming my current judgment was always this reliable. That honesty has made me more patient with photographers earlier in their own careers who are still actively building this same kind of judgment through their own direct experience.

One specific way I've tried to accelerate that development, both for myself earlier on and for photographers I now mentor, is debriefing honestly after every shoot involving a genuine judgment call, whether the call was to continue or to stop, examining afterward whether the decision held up in hindsight and what, if anything, I'd do differently given what's now known that wasn't fully clear in the actual moment. That deliberate debrief habit has compressed years of what would otherwise be purely incidental learning into a more consistent, faster-building body of genuine, applicable experience.

What I'd Tell a Photographer Building This Judgment Themselves

For a photographer earlier in developing this specific judgment, I'd emphasize building a clear, pre-established personal standard before it's actually needed under real pressure, rather than trying to figure out the right call for the first time in the actual pressured moment when a genuine safety concern first arises on location. Having that standard already decided in advance removes a huge amount of the decision-making burden from the moment itself.

I'd also emphasize deferring genuinely to local expertise and experienced guides rather than assuming personal general experience automatically transfers to unfamiliar specific conditions, since the biggest safety mistakes I've witnessed other photographers make came from exactly that kind of unwarranted overconfidence in their own general judgment.

I'd add one last piece of encouragement here too: making this call correctly, even at real cost to a specific shoot or client relationship, is genuinely a mark of professionalism rather than a failure, and the photographers I respect most in this field are consistently the ones willing to make this difficult call clearly and confidently when it's actually needed.

Reflection Questions

  1. Do you currently have a clear, pre-established personal standard for when a shoot genuinely needs to be called off, or would you be figuring that out for the very first time under real pressure?
  2. How genuinely comfortable are you communicating a safety-driven decision directly and honestly to a disappointed, pushing-back client?
  3. Do you build genuine buffer time into your shoot plans, or does every single schedule you build leave essentially zero margin for a canceled or shortened day?
  4. Have you caught yourself letting sunk costs, time or money already invested and spent, quietly influence a safety decision in the actual moment?

If you want the fuller framework for how I approach safety and decision-making throughout a shoot, the Adventure Photographer's Playbook covers how I build this judgment into every stage of planning and execution.

Dalton Johnson is a professional adventure and editorial photographer with over a decade of experience creating images on all seven continents. His client work includes Patagonia, GoPro, Arc'teryx, Four Seasons, Nike, Rivian, Big Agnes, Ford Bronco, and 160+ other brands. He runs Dalton Johnson Media as a full-service studio, from pre-production through post and distribution.

No image has ever been worth a genuine, serious safety risk, and building both the judgment and the business systems that make it easy to act on that principle, even under real pressure, has genuinely been some of the most important, most consistently overlooked work I've done in building this career over the years.

Next
Next

Insurance for Gear and Health on Remote Shoots